Gateway to Literacy - Carlong Literacy Skills
Gateway to Literacy - Carlong Literacy Skills
Gateway to Literacy: Carlong Literacy Skills - New Edition is a new edition of our Carlong Assessment Tests: Literacy Skills.This new edition offers new and exciting items while retaining many of the old favourites.
There are 12 Test Papers in this textbook - four more than the previous edition. The book focuses on preparing students for the Ministry of Education's Grade 4 Literacy Test, as well as on helping them to develop the literacy skills they need to communicate every day.
- Organization of the text
- The textbook is organized as follows:
Note to the Teacher/Parent - this provides useful information on how the Test Papers are organized and how to use the book.
Note to the Student - the student is introduced to the textbook, including the Lit Wiz mascot, as well as told how the Test Papers can prepare them to be successful in the Grade 4 Literacy Test.
- General Instructions - this outlines what the student will be required to do in each section (an example is provided for each section).
Test Papers 1 -12 - the Test Papers are graded within the book with the more difficult Test Papers appearing last.
- Test Papers 1-3 comprise Grade 3 work
- Test Papers 4-7 are moderate, covering work for Grades 3 and 4
- Test Papers 8 - 12 fully simulate the Grade 4 Literacy Test
The material, therefore, caters to students at all literacy levels.
Each Test Paper is broken down into three sections:
- Section 1 - Word Recognition: The student is required to choose words that match pictures and vice versa
- Section 2 - Reading Comprehension: The student is instructed to choose the correct answer to items that are based on comprehension passages, road signs, poems, tables and other interesting stimuli
- Section 3 - Writing Tasks: The student has to complete a form and write a letter.
Track Your Progress Score Graph - both allow students to see how well they are doing. The teacher or parent can use these to identify which section often presents a challenge to the student.Comprehension Schema
- - the schema breaks down the topics covered and helps the teacher or parent to closely monitor the student's progress.
Sample Answer Sheet and Test Answers - the use of the sample answer sheet mimics what is done in the actual examination.
- 50% more Test Papers than previous edition
- Similar layout to actual examination paper
- Test Papers are progressively challenging
- Can be used at home or at school
- Offers good practice for the age level whether student is in Jamaica or elsewhere
- Integrated content conveyed through a variety of stimuli. See examples on pages: 19, 22, 35, 36, 88, 99, 125
- Student's literacy skills tested through the use of various stimuli pieces, e.g., charts, tables, posters, poems, cards and passages that are interesting and, in many cases, informative. See examples on pages: 7, 11, 20, 21, 32, 37, 48, 62, 73, 87, 98, 100, 110
Look out For:
- Score Graph
- Comprehension Schema
- Sample Answer Sheet
- Answers for each Test Paper
Notes To Teachers:
HOW THE BOOK WORKS
The 12 tests in this test book help to prepare students to do well in the Grade 4 Literacy Test under the National Assessment Programme. Students will also master the literacy skills which are necessary to communicate in everyday life. The tests are designed to be progressively challenging, thereby catering to students at all levels. The items are graded within each Test Paper and also within the book with the more difficult Test Papers being presented last. You are free to use the book in whatever way you think will benefit students. The earlier TPs (1-3) cover Grade 3 work; TPs 4-7 are moderate, covering work for Grades 3 & 4; while TPs 8-12 mirror the level and range of the Grade 4 Literacy Test. Each TP is broken down as shown below:
|NO. OF ITEMS
|The student is required to choose words that match pictures and vice versa
|The student is instructed to choose the correct answer to items that are based on comprehension passages, road signs, poems, tables and other interesting stimulus pieces.
|The student has to complete a form and write a letter.
A Score Graph is included at the back of the book. This is designed to track the student?s progress over each TP. Another useful feature is the Schema that breaks down each TP into the elements of the literacy programme. This will help you to identify easily which areas of the exam he or she finds most challenging, as well as whether the student is ready to sit the exam.The grading of the TPs and the provision of the schema can help the teacher or parent to monitor the student?s progress closely and to intervene if necessary. For example, if the student consistently scores below average in a particular section or the entire test, you might want to provide extra help or more practice as a possible remedy. Also beneficial is that the student can use this book all throughout the exam preparation period. At the back, the answers are included on perforated pages and there is a specimen/sample answer sheet as well. This can be downloaded from the Carlong website and printed. We are sure that you will find this book useful in preparing the students for the Grade Four Literacy Skills exam.